Dubai parents’ big complaint: Not school fees
Dubai, UAE: Issues pertaining to school fees and administration topped the list of complaints filed by parents over the last academic year.
Of the 940 complaints that parents had filed with the Knowledge and Human Development Authority (KHDA) from September, 2012 to June, 2013, issues relating to school administration totalled 311.
School fees came a close second, with complaints totalling 283.
Teacher affairs and behaviour came third with the number at 95.
School admissions also impacted the parent community with 82 complaints filed.
Apart from this, parents have had highlighted issues relating to student affairs and behaviour (60), school transportation (38), student safety (30), schools equipment and supplies (20), school communication (15) and school building and facilities (6).
Speaking to Emirates24|7, a KHDA spokesperson said: “We believe the new parent/school contracts will help reduce the number of grievances from both schools and parents.
“The contract will ensure both parties have a thorough understanding of their rights and responsibilities, making it easier to solve disputes as and when they occur.”
The legal contract has been introduced in six schools in the emirate in a bid to “promote positive relationships and protect the rights of both schools and families”.
Depending on its effectiveness in reducing disputes, it will be rolled out to other schools.
Titled the School Parent Contract, it will include “refund and admission policies, school fees, attendance and punctuality, as well as health and safety provision and transportation,” the KHDA said in a statement.
Currently, 9,632 students in six schools – Dubai Modern Education School, Al Ittihad Private School – Al Mamzar, Al Ittihad Private School – Jumeirah, School of Modern Skills, Greenwood International School and American Academy in Al Mizhar – will come under this new initiative.
© Emirates 24|7
- Abu Dhabi school hiring teachers; salary up to Dh29,000
- New govt program to lift education standard
- Moving home: the brave new world of NYU Abu Dhabi’s new Saadiyat campus
- DIAC Visits Ecuador to Promote Dubai as Higher Education Hub
- Regulator takes over errant Abu Dhabi school ahead of closure
Post a Comment
- 1 Winners of Unesco-Hamdan Bin Rashid Prize honoured
- 2 Murdoch University Dubai sees record enrolment increase
- 3 Dubai science students create ‘treasure from trash’
- 4 BUiD Starts New Academic Year with Record for overall Intake and Local Numbers in the Doctoral Programmes
- 5 UAE parents may soon watch ‘live streaming’ of kids in school bus
- Science Teacher, Chemistry (Native Speakers Preferred / UAE Nationals)
- Executive Secretary
- Interior Design Faculty
- Instructional Technology Faculty
- Independent Educational Consultant
- Senior PR Officer - Rabdan Academy
- Admin. Assistant
- Admin. & Finance Manager
- Fitness Center Assistant/Coordinator