With a population of 2.4 million (2015), Dubai has over the years emerged as the business hub of the Middle East. The UAE Ministry of Education is tasked with the accreditation of schools in Dubai (مدارس في دبي) while the Knowledge and Human Development Authority (KHDA) is responsible for growth and quality of private education in the Emirate. The KHDA supports parents, students, educators, investors and government partners to create a high quality education sector focused on happiness and wellbeing.
Public and Private Schooling
In Dubai, primary and secondary schooling is mandatory for all young men and women. Government setup public schools are free of expense for all UAE Nationals.
The Arabic language with an emphasis on English as a second language is the medium of teaching in state funded schools in Dubai. Furthermore, American, British and International Baccalaureate schools are taught in English; whereas all students (including expatriates) must take Arabic language classes.
KHDA's Report on Private Education in Dubai (2015) Statistics:
- 169 private schools in Dubai
- In total; 255,208 students from 186 different nationalities were enrolled in private schools
- 42% in primary education, 25% in secondary, 15% in tertiary and 18% in kindergarten.
- British and Indian curricula account for 64% of all enrolment in Dubai-based private schools
- Tuition ranges from AED 1,725 (USD 471) to AED 98,649 (USD 26,953) per annum
- 39% of students pay less than AED 10,000 in tuition per annum
- Variety of curricula in Dubai: UAE Ministry of Education, British (IGCSE), Indian (CBSE), American, International Baccalaureate, Iranian, French, Filipino, Pakistani, SABIS, IAT, German, Russian, Japanese and Canadian.
- Find schools near you in the following areas of Dubai: JBR, JLT, The Palm, Jumeirah Islands, Tecom, Greens, Dubai Marina, Emirates Hills, Meadows, Springs, Internet City, Knowledge Village, Media City, Discovery Gardens, JAFZA, Arabian Ranches, Motor City, Sports City, Studio City, Silicon Oasis, Jumeirah Village, Barsha, Jafiliya, Karama, Bur Dubai, Mankhool, Safa, Wasl, Business Bay, Healthcare City, Downtown, Oud Metha, Satwa, Sheikh Zayed Road, Zabeel, Umm Hurair, Al Mizhar, Al Warqa, Garhoud, Mirdif, Muhaisnah, Rashidiya, International City, Al Khail, Al Quoz, Umm Al Sheif, Al Sufouh, Umm Suqeim, Al Manara