With a population of 14 million (2015), Istanbul is the most populous city in Turkey and the country's economic, cultural, and historic epicenter. Istanbul has several prominent colleges but most established universities are state run.Istanbul University, founded in 1453, is the oldest Turkish educational institution in the city. Although originally an Islamic school, the university established law, medicine, and science departments in the 19th century and was secularized after the founding of the Turkish Republic.
Facts about studying in Istanbul:
- 30 private universities in Istanbul (الجامعات في اسطنبول)
- 8 public universities
- The MimarSinan Fine Arts University is the most prominent state university in Istanbul, serving as Turkey's primary institution of art until the 1970s
- Marmara University is the country's third-largest institution of higher learning
- Robert College was the first foreign university in Istanbul and is also the oldest American institution
- Istanbul is a blend of eras, cultures and history, with plenty to explore for international students.