English College Secondary was established in 1992 and has grown into a well-respected and highly sought after school in Dubai. English College Primary opened its doors in September 2004 and has an impressive range of resources throughout its attractive and colourful interior and exterior. The English College follows a British style curriculum from Foundation 1 to Year 13. Student numbers are approximately 1,000 and all classes and lessons are taught and supported by UK trained and qualified teaching staff. We invite you to take a walk through, which offers a wealth of information on everyday activities, the diverse curriculum on offer and the outstanding ethos and atmosphere that exists at The English College, Dubai.
The aim of The English College, Dubai is to offer the best elements of the British education system supplemented by modern international educational practice, based upon our students achieving high academic standards, making sound judgements and having clearly defined moral values. We hope to provide a firm foundation for our students to succeed in an ever-changing multicultural world and develop into successful learners, confident individuals and good citizens.
We aim to give each child the best level of education possible, not just in academic training, but also in terms of character formation, developing the whole personality and awakening new interests, so that when our students leave school we can expect them to become effective, happy and responsible members of society.
Summary of KHDA Inspection
The English College Dubai was inspected by DSIB from 21 to 23 November 2016 . The overall quality of education provided by the school is good. The section below summarises the inspection findings for each of the six performance indicators described in the framework.
- Students achieve very well in English, mathematics and science except at Post-16 where attainment
and progress in science are good.. In Islamic education, attainment and progress are good in the
secondary phase and acceptable at Post-16. Students’ attainment and progress in Arabic as a first
language are acceptable. In Arabic as an additional language, students’ attainment is weak, although they do make acceptable progress from their low starting points. Students’ learning skills are very good in both phases.
- Students’ personal and social development and their relationships with others are a strength of the school, particularly in the post-16 phase. In both phases, students have positive and responsible attitudes and are consistently self-disciplined. Post-16 phase students demonstrate an excellent appreciation and understanding of Islamic values and the UAE heritage. They also show excellent awareness of their own and other cultures.
- The overall quality of teaching across both phases is very good and promotes strong achievement in both phases. However, the analyses and use of assessment data do not reach the same high
- The schools’ curriculum design and implementation are based on the National Curriculum of England. The curriculum has a clear rationale and ensures balance, continuity and progression. It provides a wide range of choices and is enhanced by meaningful cross-curricular links. The curriculum is adapted successfully to meet the needs of individuals and most groups of students. There are appropriate links to the UAE culture and society.
- The school’s provision for health and safety is very good. Care and support reaches the highest levels. Parents and students comment most favourably about this aspect of the school’s provision.
- The leadership of the school and its self-evaluation and improvement planning processes are good. Senior leaders are dedicated, effective and demonstrate a developing understanding of best educational practice. The partnerships with parents and the community are very positive. The newlyformed governing board has a positive impact on many aspects of the school’s operations, with the exception of staffing, facilities and resources which are only acceptable.
- Students achieve well in English, mathematics and science as a result of their very good learning skills and the very good quality of teaching.
- Students across the school have positive and responsible attitudes. They are consistently selfdisciplined, are sensitive and show empathy to others. They demonstrate an excellent understanding of safe and healthy living.
- Post-16 students have an excellent appreciation and understanding of Islamic values, UAE heritage and culture. They demonstrate awareness of their own, and other cultures. Their proactive involvement in the wider community, high levels of enterprise, and their work ethic are outstanding.
- The school very effectively engages parents as partners in their children’s learning, through increasingly effective communication between school and home and a range of comprehensive, informative reports.