Mohammed Bin Rashid University of Medicine and Health Sciences (MBRU) is Dubai Healthcare City Authority’s first medical university offering a range of undergraduate and postgraduate degrees. MBRU aims to be an internationally recognized provider of high quality healthcare education and a center for healthcare research. Hamdan Bin Mohammed College of Dental Medicine is the first college established under MBRU, and has six postgraduate programs. The second college of the university is the College of Medicine for undergraduate medical students offering a Bachelor of Medicine and Bachelor of Surgery program.
1. Promotes an atmosphere of trust, confidentiality, and respect to encourage students and parents to seek counseling services.
2. Encourages students to openly discuss experiences and emotions. Evaluates their needs through conversations, interviews, and observations as well as diagnoses disorders and determines correct testing or referrals. Assists students through difficult life changes and challenges.
3. Provides counseling on occasions resulting from crises such as trauma, abuse, anxiety etc.
4. Helps students with a variety of issues such as substance abuse, bullying, anger management, depression, relationships, stress and suicide.
5. Makes necessary referrals to appropriate private clinics, follows up conditions, interprets reports, and advises appropriate actions.
6. Administers psychological assessments, s/he documents findings, and reports concerns to various university units.
7. Provides consultation for Faculty and staff on concerns related to students’ well-being and disorders.
8. Liaises with the academic colleges the provision of services and trainings that enhance the student’s development.
9. Coordinates with the academic colleges establishment of peer-tutoring programs: identifies providers, identifies needs, counsels both parties, facilitates time/location reservations, monitors progress, and records scheduled tutoring.
10. Leads selection of students for international trips and training opportunities; provides necessary orientations prior to traveling; supervises evaluation of the trip or the training afterwards.
11. Guides students to engage in sports and extra-curricular activities.
12. Represents the department on committees of academic cheating incidents, non-academic investigation panels; Represents the students on Hearing Committees and advocate students’ interests.
13. Prepares long-term orientation program for the new students to bridge their schooling life system to the new university style of education and academic life.
14. Works closely with the admissions team to support the recruitment campaigns; advises on appropriateness of marketing programs.
15. Gives recommendation letters to students applying for jobs, studentships, and membership of student organizations.
16. Mediates disputes with faculty and resolve conflicts a student may experience with other fellow students or the administration staff.
17. Evaluates financial-need backgrounds and nominates eligible cases for support. Guides them towards appropriate channels; Counsels them to eliminate the effect of financial difficulties on students’ studies.
18. Monitor students’ academic progress, attendance records, and identifies at-risk cases for early provision of support as seen appropriate.
19. Keeps confidential record of disorders, and (non) academic warnings to support nominations for the student council election, and other representations at conferences, exhibitions etc.
20. Acts as a key member on organizing committees of major department-related events such as the new-students orientation, open days, award ceremonies, and other student-life events.
21. Identifies professional development needs for the students at different academic years; suggests training opportunities aiming at personal growth and development; leads arrangements, and ensures students participation when conducted.
22. Educates the students with interview techniques and supports them on different application forms such as summer studentships, international-exams nominations etc.
23. Participates in preparation of related policies, procedures, and handbooks.
24. Maintains periodical logs of visits and sessions; compiles data for the purpose of data analysis, evaluation reports, and research studies.
25. Is the custodian of confidential data and medical reports/certificates; grants access privileges to appropriate university figures.
BSc in Psychology or a related course from an accredited university. Other degrees may be considered if combined with a Master of Psychology. Registration and membership of professional societies is a plus.
Minimum 10 years of practicing counselling experience with students, mostly at higher education level.
240,000+ Members on Linkedin - Dubai Jobs