According to recent reports, the UAE continues to have the highest number of English-medium international schools (511) in the world. Just 15 years ago there were fewer than 1 million students, and now there are over 2.75 million students in the UAE.
Some facts about the UAE education system:
- The public schools are government-funded
- The curriculum is created to match the UAE development's goals and values
- The medium of instruction at public schools is Arabic and English as a Second Language is emphasized
- There are also many top private schools which are internationally accredited
- Public schools in the country are free for citizens of the UAE, while the fees for private schools vary
- Education at primary and secondary levels is universal and compulsory up to the ninth grade
- About 40% of pupils attend private schools
- Primary and secondary education is provided for all UAE citizens
- The existing educational structure, which was established in the early 1970s, is a four-tier system covering 14 years of education.
The UAE Ministry of Education (MOE) is tasked with education reform, while preserving local traditions, principles and the cultural identity of the UAE. The Knowledge and Human Development Authority (KHDA) and the Abu Dhabi Education Council (ADEC), are responsible for the growth and quality of private education in their respective emirates, Dubai and Abu Dhabi.
Age Bracket (Tiers)
- 4 to 5 year-olds attend kindergarten
- 6 to 11 year-olds attend primary school
- Preparatory stage caters for children aged between 12 and 14
- 15 to 17 year-olds attend secondary school
Breakdown of the number of private schools per emirate:
- Dubai – 169
- Abu Dhabi – 265 Public Schools; 185 Tuition-based Schools
- Sharjah – 47
- Ajman – 9
- Ras Al Khaimah – 9
- Fujairah – 6
- Umm Al Quwain - 3
Below is a comprehensive list of all private schools in the UAE. Our team strives to offer parents the latest updates, helping you find the best school in the UAE, including details, tuition fees, videos, photos, location map and community reviews.