Summary of KHDA Inspection
North American International School was inspected by DSIB from 20 to 23 March 2017. The overall quality of education provided by the school is acceptable. The section below summarises the inspection findings for each of the six performance indicators described in the framework.
- Students’ attainment and progress in Islamic education and Arabic languages are almost exclusively acceptable. The progress made by KG children and students at other phases in English, mathematics and science is mainly good. Attainment in science is good, but attainment in English and mathematics is mostly acceptable. Students have well developed learning skills, though less so at the middle phase.
- All key aspects of students’ personal and social development are of good quality. Students behave well and have positive attitudes. They have good understanding of Emirati heritage, Islamic values and the impact of these on life in Dubai. However, their understanding of other world cultures is less developed. Students’ social responsibility is good across all phases.
- The school’s systems for assessing students’ attainment and using the results are well designed and generally applied effectively in classrooms. Teachers’ skills of planning and implementing differentiated learning tasks and activities to meet the needs of different groups of students, is improving. Teachers’ summative reports to students and their parents are helpful, but their written comments to students on their work are not always sufficiently detailed.
- The overall structure of the curriculum is well designed. Adaptations to meet the needs of different groups of students are at an adequate level, with strengths observed in KG.
- Staff effectively implement the school’s systems for keeping all students’ safe and healthy, well cared-for and supported. Provision for students with SEND has improved and they mostly make good progress.
- Almost all aspects of leadership and management are carried out to a good level. The school’s processes for self-evaluation, while at times leading to over-estimates of quality, are carried out well, and improvement plans are mostly effective. Partnerships with parents are positive. Governors now meet more regularly and discuss key aspects such as teaching and attainment
- Children in KG and students across the school mostly make good progress in English, mathematics and science. Children are enthusiastic learners, and students in other phases, apart from the middle phase, have well-developed learning skills. Attainment in science is good across the school, as is attainment in mathematics at the KG and elementary phases.
- The school is successful in developing students’ personal and social skills. Across all phases, students have positive attitudes and behave well. They have a broad understanding of Islamic values and are increasingly able to show social responsibility and innovative ideas. The school’s positive ethos is built on positive relationships between and among groups of stakeholders.
- The school’s effective arrangements for keeping all students safe and healthy, and supporting them in their academic and personal development.
- Senior staff provide effective leadership in the development of partnership with parents. Parents benefit from many opportunities to be involved in the school’s work. Communication is effective, and parents have opportunities to comment on the draft school improvement plan.